A Day Inside the Newsroom

This past week, I visited the newsroom of the Times-Ledger newspapers {which publishes the weekly Fresh Meadows Times and other newspapers throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn, and the rest of Queens. It is owned by News Corporation, which also owns the New York Post, Twentieth Century Fox, and WNYW-TV among other things} in Bayside. I was there because I have a dream of being a theatre critic for a newspaper, so the school took me on a trip to see what a real newspaper office looks like.

I got to see a layout of an upcoming newspaper, and met the paper’s editor, Roz Liston. During the meeting, I got to ask Roz three questions and here are her responses:

-How does a theatre critic start at the bottom and move up to the top?

RL: “You can start with a blog and then make a connection with a news organization or newspaper to write a review.”

-How much money does an entertainment critic get each week for working {average}?

RL: You get a lot when you work full-time; $30 when you start out in the field.”

-What is it like working at a newspaper office A.K.A. newsroom?

“What it is like is that you come in the morning and it’s empty because the reporters are out on the field looking for stories before the deadline. The stories are reported, then written and edited. Then, it has to be layout; plus headlines and cutlines have to be written. After the changes, it’s all ready to go to the printing plant for distribution. It ‘s great because you’re witnessing a chapter of history in the making.”

Someday, when I grow up, I also want to be a part of witnessing history in the making every day. Right now, I’m keeping my dreams alive.





Comments